1. When does the school year begin?
Classes begin the week of September 15, 2014 and end on June 13, 2015.
2. When is the school recital?
The 19th Annual Student Recital will be held on Saturday, June 13, 2014.
3. When is the school closed?
The school is closed for the following days:
- October 13, 2014 | Columbus Day
- November 11 | Veteran’s Day
- November 27-30 | Thanksgiving
- December 22-January 4, 2014 | Winter Break
- January 19, 2015 | Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February 16 | President’s Day
- April TBA | Spring Break
- May 25 | Memorial Day
CLASSES WILL NOT BE CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER.
4. When is Parent Observation Week?
Pre-Ballet – through Ballet II – TBA
Pre-Ballet I, II & III – TBA
5. What is the dress code for my child?
Pre-Ballet, Ballet I & II: white leotard, Baltogs #0SL132C, black shorts, Baltogs #315
Ballet III: white leotard, Baltogs #0SL132C, heather grey tights, Baltogs #1308F
OnStage Dancewear, located at 197 Madison Avenue (between 34th & 35th Street) offers a 10% discount to all BSNY students. 212-725-1174.
Hair kits with bobby pins, hair pins, hair net and elastic band are on sale in the school office for $2. Headbands may be purchased for $3.
6. Do I write my child’s name on their leotard?
All children in Pre-Ballet I, II & III are required to wear white headbands.
7. If my child is sick, should I call the school office?
Please call 212-679-0401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to report a child’s absence from class.
8. Where do I put my stroller? Where do I wait for my child? Can I use my cell phone?
9. Where does my child change his/her clothes?
Under no circumstances are children to be changed in any area other than the dressing rooms. Please arrive with ample time for your child to change into dance clothes. Undressing your child in the lobby, hallways, stairs, and other areas of the building is not permitted and this rule will be strictly enforced.
10. Are parents allowed in the dressing rooms?
The parents/guardians of Pre-Ballet I & II are allowed to bring their child to the dressing room to change. There are teaching assistants there to help with hair and other needs. Fathers may not go into the women’s dressing room. They may wait until the boys are finished dressing and then go in to help their daughter change. Girls may not go into the boy’s dressing room while the boys are in their dressing room. No exceptions.
11. Can my child wear nail polish to class?
Nail polish, tattoos and other embellishments are not allowed in any classes at BSNY. Small stud earrings can be worn. Necklaces, bracelets, watches or other pieces of jewelry are not permitted.
12. What are the general policies of the school?
Every student, regardless of how many years he or she has been enrolled in the school, will receive a letter and school policy flyer. Please read the information with your child, then sign and return the form to the school office. We’d appreciate your cooperation in keeping the school running smoothly.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the dressing rooms, studio or lobby area.
- The use of electronic games in the dressing room and lobby is prohibited.
- Children will not be permitted in the classroom if more than 5 minutes late.
- Cell phone usage is not permitted in the lobby of the school.